Monday, January 27, 2014

"Become an Agent" Contest is OPEN!!!

The contest's submission windows have now officially closed! 20 entries have been received (and notified). You guys have quick email-sending fingers! The posts will go up Friday 9 a.m. EST so stay tuned :)

If you don't know what this contest is, go read up about it by following this link!

If you're reading this, the first submission window has officially opened. It starts at 9 a.m. EST and ends once I get 10 submissions. The second submission window opens at 9 p.m. EST and ends once I get 10 submissions. 20 submissions in total! Your submission's time stamp (since it'll be sent over email) must be at or after these times to be viable for a spot in the contest. 8:59 won't work!

There will be a confirmation email going out so you know that your email reached my inbox. However, this email won't confirm a place in the contest. I'll do that manually.

The format for the submissions (and send all submissions to SC_Author (at) yahoo (dot) com):

In the subject line put "Become an Agent: [Title of Your Manuscript]" at least. That's all I need :D

In the actual body, put it like how I have below (so I can easily copy-and-paste from email to Blogger :D)

Bolded where bolded, with all the words included (so keep in 'Title', 'Genre', 'Word Count', etc. but, of course, put in your own personal details.)

Title: My Awesome Title!
Genre: My Awesome Genre!
Word Count: My not-so-awesome word count that I'd rather not tell anyone!

Then just slap in the meat of your query under the title, genre, and word count. Throw in your bio too, because agents DO look at that when they receive queries and it DOES make an impact. I want this contest to be as realistic to what agents see as possible.

First 250: Throw in your 250 here, NO tabs; do line breaks instead of tabs, like they are on this blog post right now. And you can a lee-way of 10 words; so if your sentence ends on word number 257 or 242, keep it there. You don't need to edit to perfectly hit 250 words.


I was going to also talk about voting etiquette, etc. but I think it's smarter if I talk about it on Friday when the contest actually starts. The rules for voting are all here so go over the details while I prepare for the contest! Remember, you have to be following this blog in order to submit to this contest.

We'll be Tweeting under the Twitter hashtag #BecomeAnAgent :D It'll be fun. I'm SC_Author on Twitter.

WOO!!!!!!

Hopefully, this contest will be as fun as it was last year. Actually, fun story: because I hosted this contest last year, Mike emailed me about joining together to start a little contest called Query Kombat. I then invited Michelle to complete our trio and from there our contest-creating trio was formed. There's your fun fact for the day!

Any questions? Ask them below! And good luck!

4 comments:

  1. Look at you, SC! You're always doing so much amazing stuff for writers and the community. So, so, SO AWESOME. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea!! I used to do query contests all the time too before I had an agent. They are so much fun and such a great way to network with other writers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun contest, SC! I'll be watching for the results!!

    ReplyDelete