Thursday, July 12, 2012

In Which I Have an Affair with Another MS

Sigh. Yes.

The thing is, I have been WAY to close to my MS for the last two years. My passion for Alphi (my MC) and Vis Decor (the world) is still there, but I think it's time to take a break.

I'm going to set it aside for a few months and write something new (which I am very excited about :) ) and at the end of the months, or when I finish my WIP, I'll take it from the drawer and read it again. Of course, I bet I'll do some editing and stuff over the break (I can't stay away) but I am SOOO relieved right now! My editing will be fun editing, a work of bliss, not a work of frustration. I have begun my WIP and it's so relieving, even thoug I've only wrote 700 words so far!

My MS, VIS DECOR: ALPHI (or PURE SEA, GREY WAVES) has given me AMAZING joy, and really hard times as well. I love it to death, but I need to set it aside. I'm becoming blind to its faults, to a point where it has become dangerous with every revision I do. I'm still going to send it through a critiquing place, but just so I have something good to come back to. At the end, after one last run, one last revision, I'm letting it sit :)  Alphi, my main character, deserves a break. She might be getting sick of me as well :) But I feel this will be good for both my sanity, and Alphi's sanity. I'll come back to this world, but everyone says, letting your MS sit is a great thing :)

I think this is so helpful to everyone who has been working on their MS for a long time but are too scared to take a break. I was scared. Scared to DEATH.What if someone published a book similar to mine? But the idea for my new WIP has been taunting me for such a long time, and I was too scared to write it; too scared to put my MS aside. But I'm going to come back to it, and, above all, I'm going to do something I love: Writing. I'll fall in love with writing once again, something that may have been lost (or stifled) in the constant editing of VIS DECOR: ALPHI. I still love, LOVE that MS. I do. But it needs a break. A few months to rest till I dive back in.

Thanks a TON to all of my amazing writer friends, those who directly (and indirectly) helped me, by allowing me to be part of this great community. You guys are the best thing that has ever happened to my writing, and I cannot thank you enough for helping me through all this. All of you are the best :) I can't thank you enough for your support, encouragement, and compassion. Thank you, all of you, for being there for me. A rest is the best thing I could have done for this; actually, in one day (night) of writing my WIP, I kind of feel like I want to go back into Alphi's world.... EEP! This taking a break thing really works :)

5 comments:

  1. It can be very hard to set aside a book--particularly a first book. Kudos to you for doing it, and STICK TO IT. ;) I actually made a post about this ages ago, about being able to let a story go. Too many authors get wrapped up in one book, in trying to revise and revise and revise, that they're wasting all this valuable time in working on something NEW.

    Good luck on the WIP! And on going back to Alphi--when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thanks :) It's like a breath of fresh air now :)

      Delete
  2. Two years is a long time. A break might be good. Will you post it through a critique site or do you have critique partners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm from Agent Query Connect, so I have AMAZING critique friends there (you might now one, Kela McClelland) that I'll run my MS through when the time comes :) But I post my query and other things on the site.

      Delete
  3. Take a small break! You better get back to Alphi soon and good luck with the new WiP. Even I work on my new WiPs now and then. Helps recharge the batteries.

    ReplyDelete