Tuesday, July 3, 2012

COVER ART REVEALED -- JK Rowling's Casual Vacancy!

EMERGENCY TUESDAY POST



Now, this is an emergency post because I usually don't post on Tuesdays anymore. BUT THIS IS HUGE NEWS! I've been waiting like CRAZY for this cover art to be revealed. I actually thought, as I checked Mugglenet.com today, that she'll do some sort of fun reveal like she usually does, maybe on July 31st (Harry's birthday). But no, she didn't. It just got revealed.

Just released:

The book is 512 pages long. I'm excited for that :) It's also going to be released September 27th, 2012.

Here is the synopsis of the book, in case you don't know:

When Barry Fairbrother dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty facade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

COVER ART ANALYSIS

Well, from the synopsis, we can see that the book is all about an election, so the cover art is frankly quite straight-forward. It is an election ballot, with one selection picked. Quite easy to comprehend.

And that is about it. Sigh. The font is pretty cool and fancy, but I feel this book is trying to be a classic or something. The cover's simplicity is reminiscent of classics, such as The Great Gatsby and Fahrenheit 451. I can imagine having posters of this cover in my room, just like many have posters of The Great Gatsby (which, many feel, is the greatest book cover of all time. I think it's awesome, but not "the best of all time").



I can't lie, I was expecting something more from JKR's cover. Something to analyze, something that might hint at more, which the Harry Potter cover were CHOCK full of. The simplicity HAD to be on purpose; it's JK Rowling. I mean, she could have had the best illustrator in the world do her book, even for free. It's JK Rowling. Her very name would have this.

The main thing now that I'm excited for is seeing some of JKR's black humor in this book, the publisher says the The Casual Vacancy will be "blackly comic, thought provoking, and constantly surprising." So I'm excited :)

I'm also excited that it has 512 pages! YES! Good big book for us to read :)

Do you like the cover?  Do you think the synopsis hints at maybe some thought-provoking literature? Are you excited to read it?

Even though this cover might not have been the best, I AM EXCITED!!! September 27th, HERE I COME!

Don't forget to subscribe! I'll return the favor :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you - I was hoping for a little more...something. I suppose the pubs are just trying to really make this a book in its own lane since it's adult and something so different from HP.

    But, yeah, a little underwhelming. I didn't see it like this in my head (don't know what I DID see, but, still).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also hoping for more :( But on one article I came across a comment that got me thinking that maybe JKR needed something drastic to show that she is making a change from writing for children to writing for adults. A simple, 'elegant' cover might show just how drastic the change is. Something, also, about the minimalist style going around.

      I did NOT see this either. I imagined some painting akin to a rebellion or revolution with a war and people attacking each other. I guess not, hehehe.

      Delete