Sunday, March 22, 2015

Become an Agent 2015 Post #6

Title: STRAW SALT GOLD
Genre: YA Fantasy
Word Count: 84,000

Query:

Sixteen-year-old orphan Rumilla Coe is known for her fine hand with spinning, weaving, and embroidery. The extra money her craft brings is the only thing keeping her and her brother from starving, while she works for a pittance at an industrial mill.


When the flax on her spinning wheel transforms to gold beneath her fingertips, Rumilla thinks she’s solved the problem of her dire poverty. But what she’s really unraveled is a world of trouble. It wasn’t a miracle that turned straw into gold. It was sulfur-soaked alchemical science, and in the city of Baden-Platz being an alchemist is punishable by death.

When Halle Brachmant, the spoiled mill-owner's daughter, finds Rumilla slumped over a spinning machine with gold on the wheel, greed propels her to claim she spun it herself. Halle is hailed as a miracle worker, blessed by the gods and untainted by alchemy. Rumors of the straw-spun gold spread beyond the mill and the slums, catching the imagination of the city and the attention of fanatical Prince Casmir. He orders Halle to spin gold three more times to prove that she is truly blessed.

With Halle's public face and Rumilla’s golden formula, the pair must rely on each other to survive. Because if Casmir discovers who is really spinning gold, both girls will lose their heads.

Complete at 84,000 words STRAW, SALT, GOLD, is a YA fantasy reimagining of Rumpelstiltskin, if Rumpelstiltskin were a teenage alchemist spinning gold to prevent her execution. Told alternately from Rumilla and Halle’s point of view, STRAW, SALT, GOLD will appeal to fans of Rosamund Hodge’s Cruel Beauty and Sarah Fine’s Of Metal and Wishes.

First 250:


Crack.


A sickening noise echoes through the flat, breaking my concentration. The wool I spin snaps, as the spinning wheel flies forward, and I topple over. Yarn tangles and splits in the bobbins, catching around the spokes of the wheel. I brush the dust from my skirt and relight my oil lamp to better survey the damage.

My heart sinks.

The spinning wheel, wedged into the hatbox of a room, is cracked in two, with its support beam split in half. All of its parts; crank, flyer, and treadle, list precariously. The soft merino wool my older brother Braun traded for, hoping to sell my handiwork for cabbages and bread, is a tangled mess. At best it will need to be re-carded.

A half days work gone in a pop and a flash.

The wheel must be fixable. It must be. As gently as I can, I lay the great wheel on its side, wishing for a miracle. I’ve patched my wheel before, held it together with beeswax, tar, and prayers. The fixes were crude, but they worked when we needed them. This time, to keep the rot from spreading the support beam will need to be removed and replaced.

In my heart, I hear Braun sighing; “Oh Rumilla, another expense?”

Wiping the grime on my skirt, I pick up my wrench from the toolbox. I’ll take in the part to salvage, instead of dwelling on the destroyed fiber.

Just another piece of ill-luck, in two years overflowing with ill-luck.

Query: 

Sixteen-year-old Rumilla Coe’s talent for spinning yarn is the only thing keeping her and her brother from starving. When the flax on her spinning wheel transforms to gold beneath her fingertips, Rumilla thinks she’s solved the problem of her dire poverty. But what she’s actually done is unravel a world of trouble. It wasn’t a miracle that turned straw into gold. It was sulfur-soaked alchemical science, and in the city of Baden-Platz practicing alchemy is punishable by death.

Halle Brachmant, the spoiled mill-owner's daughter, finds Rumilla slumped over a spinning machine with gold on the wheel. Greed propels Halle to claim she spun the flax, with the blessing of the gods. When rumors of the gold spread beyond the mill and the slums, the story catches the attention of fanatical Prince Casmir, who will do anything to destroy alchemy. He orders Halle to spin three more times, using her blessed gold to fund his purges. Desperate and unable to spin, Halle blackmails Rumilla into helping her.

If Rumilla and Halle are going to survive Casmir’s volatile trials, they’ll need to rely on each other. Because, if Casmir discovers who is really spinning gold both girls will lose their heads. And Casmir’s hatred of alchemy will tear Baden-Platz apart.

Complete at 84,000 words STRAW SALT GOLD, is a YA fantasy reimagining of Rumpelstiltskin. Told alternately from Rumilla and Halle’s point of view, STRAW SALT GOLD will appeal to fans of Rosamund Hodge’s Cruel Beauty and Sarah Fine’s Of Metal and Wishes.

First 250 : 

Crack.
The wool I spin snaps, as the spinning wheel flies forward, and I topple over. Yarn tangles and splits in the bobbins, catching around the spokes of the wheel. I brush the dust from my skirt and relight my oil lamp to better survey the damage.

My heart sinks.

The spinning wheel, wedged into a corner of my hatbox-sized room, is cracked in two, with its support beam split in half. All of its parts—crank, flyer, and treadle—list precariously. The soft merino wool my older brother Braun traded for, hoping to sell my handiwork for cabbages and bread, is a tangled mess. At best it will need to be re-carded.

A half days work gone in a pop and a flash.

The wheel must be fixable. As gentle as I can, I lay the great wheel on its side, wishing for a miracle. I’ve patched my wheel before, held it together with beeswax, tar, and prayers. The fixes were crude, but they worked when we needed them. This time, to keep the rot from spreading, the support beam will need to be replaced.

In my heart, I hear Braun sighing; “Oh Rumilla, another expense?”

Wiping the grime on my skirt, I pick up my wrench from the toolbox. I’ll take in the part, instead of dwelling on the destroyed fiber.

Just another piece of ill-luck, in two years overflowing with ill-luck.

The yarn I spun would have been worth five coppers at least.

26 comments:

  1. Yes.

    I totally loved this. Retellings are all the rage, which means they can be tricky to sell if an agent gets five hundred queries retelling the same story. But this seems unique--you didn't just retell with all the same old characters in the original fairy tale. You took the story and made it your own. I like that, along with the interesting character dynamic you set up.

    There's a lot of voice in the first 250, along with the sense of desperation right away that our MC faces.

    You really took the Rumpelstiltskin story and made it your own. I daresay I like yours better than the Once Upon a Time reimagining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reluctant no.
    I've been wondering when someone would do Rumpelstiltskin and I love the idea!
    Love the alchemy piece and the uncomfortable relationship with what may be an unreliable character in Halle.
    However in the end, I found myself wanting higher stakes. I realize discovery by the prince is pretty dire, but in a YA book, I want more than that even. Personal, emotional stakes - something that illuminates the deeper layers of the characters.
    Good luck with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Query: The spinning wheel and gold in your industrial mill setting really got my attention. I like the alchemy element and your spin on the fairytale. The part after "a world of trouble", seems too much info and too specific. Just need a hint of the problem/danger in that paragraph. Good stakes at the end. Maybe just cut down on some of the story plot in the query. First 250: Nice inciting incident right away. You deliver in your opening what was promised in the query. I like the details of your world. — Yes (#10)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a sad no for me.

    There are many hot points about this novel that fit with the current market's demand. Retelling are in right now, and with the unique magical element, it's bank. However, I felt the query ended a little soft, and would suggest trying to amp up the stakes and consequences, but I liked the flare you added in your sum-up. In the 250, some of the word choices are a bit off for the age range. I know that happens with fantasy but in YA, agents look for that fun spunky voice especially with this genre. I definitely think you're on to something with this, so keep working the script.

    Critiqued by # 7

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am I allowed to just say yes and then post my reasons later? Because I haven't read them all yet, but I want this one. I feel like I might somehow miss out if I don't claim it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I love the premise. The ones that grab me the most are the ones where I read and say, "Hey, look, what a cool premise!" A Rumplestiltskin retelling involving alchemy checks all my geeky boxes. I love the voice in the first 250. Everything here works for me.


      And this is where voice can really come into play, because I don't like first person present tense dual POV, but I still want to keep reading.

      Delete
  6. I say no, sadly. I love the idea of a Rumplestiltskin retelling. However, the query ended without enough bang, and it felt like a synopsis. With some trimming and focus on stakes other than their personal deaths, you'll have an amazing query.

    The 250 is well done, but I feel like you take a little too long to describe a falling spinning wheel. Otherwise, you had me there. So I think with some polishing and tightening you're there!!

    #16

    ReplyDelete
  7. No.
    But this was tough. The query tells me what I need to know, and I love the concept of a Rumpelstiltskin retelling. However, I feel like the 250 starts too slow, too much about the spinning wheel, and maybe even starts in the wrong spot. Is is possible to start where she first realizes she has spun gold?

    Oh, this one really pains me.
    I am #12

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! The mix of a retelling with alchemy just totally does it for me. Your query is very clean and covers a lot of ground, with great stakes and motivations. The first 250 provides some great details about her world without being overly telly, which I think is effective.

    One suggestion I have about the first 250 is a real nitpick. I'm one of the small group of people who still spin on a wheel and I'm not sure an outsider will really understand what's going on in this first scene if they've never seen a wheel and don't know its parts. I'm also wondering if you've chosen the best piece to break--the moving pieces like the drive band, the flyer/bobbin, or treadle all seem like they'd be what would break from regular usage/old age, not the main support of the wheel, which would probably only break if it was dropped or something heavy hit it. I know this is a total nitpick (and I realize a smaller piece breaking won't give you the satisfying "Crack" and leave her falling forward, which creates some action in an otherwise quiet scene), but especially since spinning has such a central place in the story, nailing those details will really create a feeling of authenticity in the fantasy, which I think is critical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes.

    This query is very, very solid. It gives me everything I need to know. I also love retellings and this one is unique enough to make it stand out, and different enough from the original to keep me interested. A few points that you could clear up that would make this even stronger for me:

    1. As the mill owner's daughter, I'm surprised that she'd be compelled by greed. I'd expect her family to be well-off. Is greed really the right descriptor here?

    2. What would lead the general population to assume Rumilla is an alchemist, but not Halle? I'm not sure I understand why they'd revere Halle, but condemn Rumilla.

    3. Why would Rumilla agree to help Halle? I'm assuming she's threatening to tell Rumilla's secret.

    I really love the voice in the 250 and thought it was well-written, but it was a little on the slow side. I'm also curious why/how the wheel broke. I'm assuming a piece of it snapped, but originally I was waiting for something to have hit it. Consider tightening this a little to up the pace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No,

    The query gives me two characters, the 250 gives me a spinning wheel. I know 250 isn't a lot, but with YA I want to know who I'm rooting for, where I should focus my energy and I don't feel like this query or sample gives me that.

    The concept sounds awesome. I LOVE the alchemy idea and the two girls caught in their lies, but I just don't have enough of either of those girls to know why I care what happens to them.

    I'm going to echo the above that the query gives lots of good info, but reads more like a synopsis, and the 250 has a great voice, but is slow/may be the wrong place.

    All that said, if this were an Adult submission I would probably be a Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes from me! but slightly reluctantly.

    My main problem was the 250. It could have incorporated a lot more voice. Right now, it reads very 'matter-of-fact' and almost bland. And in the query, I was wondering why Halle wouldn't be punished by death for the alchemy? I mean, does the city know it's alchemy? I was confused about that.

    But otherwise, the query is great and this concept is amazing. The query does a great job at showcasing the concept, which is a LOT harder than it sounds! Awesome job.

    Post #8

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes!

    This sounds like a really fun idea! I'm sure the two girls do not work together without a lot of fun problems and bickering.

    A couple suggestions. In your query where you say "if R were a teenage alchemist." I think you can cut that. I think Rumpelstiltskin retelling says it all.

    In your 250 - "wedged into the hatbox of a room" threw me out b/c it didn't roll out of the room she's in, right? It could be wedged in a corner, but... And I wasn't clear on "I'll take in the part to salvage."

    I hope that helps! Best of luck with revisions and querying!
    Rebecca
    #11

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES! Just go ahead and take my money now! A couple of tidbits--it should be "half day's" not half days. I'd also re-read and look for words to cut. I don't think you need another "must be" and "when we needed them" after "worked" can be cut too. You need a comma after "spreading." Oh, and "I'll take in the part to salvage," can be "I'll take the part to salvage." No "in" needed. Overall, thought, like I said, this is a YES. Just make sure to re-read and pay attention to details so as the agents read, they're not distracted by some of these minor things. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unfortunately, this is a no from me. I love the query. It has everything to hook me right in. But I didn't see the same charm in the 250. The voice didn't hold through for me. The scene seems more a series of actions and I couldn't feel the empathy I had with the query.
    #9

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow to the query and the 250. Well done.

    I've heard rumblings that fairy-tale retellings are selling harder these days (unless they're exceptionally well done), but this one sings and gets a definite yes from me.

    A couple of suggested line edits:

    1) All of its parts; crank, flyer, and treadle, list precariously.

    ... would suggest instead:

    All of its parts—crank, flyer, and treadle—list precariously.

    2) This time, to keep the rot from spreading the support beam will need to be removed and replaced.

    ... would suggest inserting another comma after "spreading" otherwise it reads at first like "spreading the support beam" and the reader has to backtrack.

    3) But what she’s really unraveled is a world of trouble.

    ... would suggest:

    But what she’s really done is unraveled a world of trouble.

    (this is super picky, I know, but the way it's worded doesn't technically match with the preceding (in my head anyway) because she didn't actually unravel anything with her spinning; anyway, just saying it's one of the few items I bumped on)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm saying yes to this, because I really want to see more. Your query gives me character depth and stakes without giving away too much. Your 250 is brilliant. I love your voice and the set up. My only reservation is that I want MORE stakes. What you have now is a perfect start, but you could still lose interest if you don't keep the tension up.

    Also, I love retellings of classic stories. Rumpelstiltskin never gets enough love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this query. It pulled me in right away and I was totally ready to start reading. This premise is bubbling over with awesomeness.

    The 250: I agree that this was a little slow. I want her to someone get hurt in this accident and the scar she gets from that somehow comes into play later with the prince. I need her to personally be more emotional than she is. Just a tad bit deeper and I would have been even happier!

    I am giving you a no, but only because there was one other entry in this batch of critiques for me that I had to say yes to. I love this one and think it has great potential and I want to read it when it gets published!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YES!
    I love this idea, the query was easy to follow, although I think it would read a little better if you mention that it is told alternately at the beginning, so that the paragraphs about the two girls don't feel disjointed. I would also like a little more about why Halle doesn't have to worry about being charged with Alchemy, even just a few words about her being the city's golden girl, or her fathers political clout frees her from suspicion, because without it feels like it's just random. This is a very nit-picky issue, and it certainly didn't keep me from saying yes, but it would make the query feel stronger.
    The first 250 could use a little more emotional showing perhaps, but it's quite well written. I like all of Wades copyediting suggestions for clarity.

    Tobias Eaton (4)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes.

    What follows are two minor quibbles.

    In which era (or fantasy era equivalent) is this taking place? The use of the word “flat” and the brother working in a “mill” imply a nineteenth century urban environment, and I think you might want to make this clear to agents in the query. I’ve also assumed that you meant “he” rather than “she” in that second sentence about who works in the mill.

    Some of the Germanic names don’t work for me, possibly because I live near the Danish/Dutch/German borders and I read them differently. Braun is typically a last name and makes me think of electric razors and kitchen appliances. I also read Halle as the male Danish first name and only later connected it back to a girl’s name like Halle Berry.

    That said, I really like this both query and the first 250. Go forth and prosper!

    #2

    ReplyDelete
  20. #5 here - yes, I would request more pages.

    I don't know that I can add much to what's been said already. This query is structured very well and I got a great sense of plot, characters, stakes, consequences, etc. As someone else mentioned, the only point that I wish was clarified a bit is why Rumilla wouldn't be suspected of alchemy. However, I can live without knowing if this is a plot point you wouldn't want to reveal in a query. I'd still request pages.

    The 250 is very solid writing that grounds us very well in your character and her world.

    I'm sure you'll have much success with this! Based on the response here alone, seems like this premise is as golden as the flax beneath Rumilla's fingertips. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Revision critique from #16 :D

    Your query is SO MUCH BETTER!! :D Yay for stronger stakes!

    But I still can't quite say yes. The 250 still doesn't suck me in, I'm afraid :( So this is a very subjective no. On the side, however, change "as gentle as I can" to "as gently as I can" :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Revision critique from #17
    That query is WAY better! Nice job! It reads a whole lot easier.
    I would definitely ask for pages based on the query.
    The 250 still needs just a bit more action for me too, but as an agent, I would have been hooked with your query and been able to hang in there for more than 250 words to see if the action got better...so yes from me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Revision critique from #8!

    Query is much more improved! Makes so much more sense. This bit: "spinning gold both girls will lose their heads." There needs to be a comma between 'gold' and 'both'. This bit -> "And Casmir’s hatred of alchemy will tear Baden-Platz apart" seems a bit tacked on. The story was never really about the city, it's about the lives of these two girls. Concentrate on that and let the book itself introduce the other plot lines.

    For the 250, I'd really really really prune a lot of the commas. They're overused.

    But I'd vote yes :D Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi from #15!

    I didn't read this one in the original entries, but I can certainly see why you got so many yes's! Great job! I did a research paper in college about the various Rumplestiltskin stories, so you have definitely hit a sweet spot for me in this retelling. Awesome! Obviously, a yes from me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the additional spinning wheel details--it definitely seems more authentic now (says the nitpicky spinner of actual and metaphorical yarn). And the query is so much cleaner. Nice revisions.

    My only suggestion would be to up the tension in the first 250 by making it more explicit that not only is it bad luck and a half-day's work lost, but that they might actually starve to death without those cabbages...That sense of urgency will keep people reading.

    This was already an enthusiastic yes from me and you've made it even better, so I feel like I'm going to be seeing this on the shelves very soon. Best of luck from #13.

    ReplyDelete