Friday, March 29, 2013

Please, Writers. Don't Get Discouraged

I just ran a "Become an Agent" query contest where contestants vote Yes or No on each other's queries. And, as was obvious, there were a lot of No's.

This rejection is so prominent in writers -- as is the sadness afterwards.

Let me tell you a story.

I did a query contest similar to this one on the Authoress's blog about a year ago. And, I got about 40 No's and only about five Yes's.

That sucked.

I was so sure that query was going to be the one, that I'd get a lot of Yes's and little/no No's. I was so sure. I had worked on that query so, so hard and I thought it would all pay off.

But it didn't. My query sucked.

But you know what? I'm happy I got those No's. What if I actually queried with that mess of a query? Ignorance is NOT bliss in the publication game we are in. We need to be as informed as possible about all steps of publication, including the quality of our own writing. Especially about the quality of our own writing.

Sure, it's easy to be discouraged after all the No's. In fact, it's normal to be discouraged. To want to call it quits. To want to give up.

But you know what? Go ahead. Give up. Seriously, there is nothing, nothing wrong with realizing writing is not for you. So try it. Give up.

And those who are truly writers, deep down; you'll come back in a little while. And you'll write again. And you'll hate it. But you'll need it. And you'll soon love it.

Take this all less seriously. I've always thought we make too big deal about our writing. We're not performing surgery, making life-or-death decisions. We get torn apart by constructive criticism and almost succumb to depression if we get a bad critique. But we're writing. We're doing something we love. We're improving something we love. And we are having fun.

Next time you get a bad critique, laugh at yourself at making that oh-so-obvious plot hole. Shake your head, smiling, as you start to edit. For most of us, there is no time limit to get our books in order. So why get frustrated if a critique sets you back? (I, way too often, try to rush my way through. I'm trying to stop that.)

Let's all make a conscious decision to take our writing less seriously. To see our books as our children (I read this somewhere, forgot where). We'll love them, but force them to improve. And we'll love to see them grow, no matter how long or how many lessons it takes.

How do you guys like the contest so far? I'm on the outside looking in, so I can't tell how you feel about it! Is it helpful?

You have all of Saturday to get your critiques in :)Winner (the one with the most Yes's) will be posted Monday!

16 comments:

  1. I don't take it too seriously.
    And I don't mind criticism on my work from my critique partners. If they didn't think something was right, imagine what my publisher or readers would think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this contest is one of the best that I've been in. Sure, I didn't get many yes, but my query was a hard choice for many, and looking back on where my query came from, I couldn't be more proud. I think this is a brilliant contest. Thank you for putting this together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this site and am looking forward to an opportunity to participate next time. Awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got the perspective of a winner, SC. You're there. And I honestly think that one can't be successful until they get into the mindset you're in. Absolutely essential! Spot on post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe there is any such thing as a 'good' or 'bad' query (or book for that matter) only perspective.

    Which is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a little discouraging when in one forum (like the AQC query crits and other blogs that crit) you get a lot of good feedback where they think it's ready to send out and then go to another one like here and suddenly no one has anything good to say. It's like wait, which is it, awful and not ready or compelling and ready to be sent out. Super confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just what happened to me too! But it was my fault: I did so many revisions on AQC so that the critiques couldn't get a fresh perspective on it. The Authoress contest helped me with that. Crushed me, but helped me. I hope you do get something out of this contest though :) I'm so sorry if this contest wasn't how you hoped it would be though, and please, tell me any suggestions you have to make it better.

      Delete
  7. Very fun contest, SC. Query writing never gets any easier, but the less I worry about it, the easier the ideas seem to flow.

    Anonymous, I think the difference between AQC forums and a contest like this is on the forums there are no other queries being compared to yours. We are comparing apples to oranges and the choice becomes more subjective to personal taste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't find this discouraging - I found it SO helpful!! Thank you SO much for hosting it!!! I really think my (revised) query is stronger because of it!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any one who is discouraged, resentful, looking for revenge, or ready to give up after receiving feedback is either just starting out on the road to Published Author or is way too thin-skinned to continue on the journey.

    No one should turn down feedback. It is priceless. Just remember that none of the advice is written in stone. Absorb the feedback, look at it from all angles, then decide whether to use it or not. Only YOU know your storyline and how it fits together. Use the tools you are given. And if you happen to use the screwdriver as a pry bar, well boy howdy, as long as it works for you, excellent.

    Thank you, thank you, Mr. SCWrite. I very much appreciate the time and effort it took for you to put this on. *confetti all around*

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was fantastic! I think we twittered a similar conversation. Every feedback i received showed the same fatal flaw...and I'm glad of it. I didn't realize the wording was a bit ambiguous, etc. I've messed with it so many times, I wasn't going to see it anymore.

    Love me some red ink :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been great to get some differing opinions and see that everything is so subjective, or even that being afraid to give away TOO much can inhibit some aspects and I can afford to go a little more into detail. We're all so close to our stories that it's extremely important not only to get critique on format, but see what questions fellow authors - and therefore potential agents and readers - will have upon reading our queries. Thanks so much for this experience, and best of luck to everyone with your queries going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the contest, even though I got all no's except one. Luckily, I hadn't sent out this particular query, and a I wrote an even better one after all the wonderful feedback. Thanks for taking the time to run the contest. It was invaluable to me, despite the pangs of sadness resulting in the no's at first. After I went back and re-read them with a clearer head, I realized that most folks had a lot of positive things to say about my story idea, despite my crappy query. One question, can we post a revised query under our original and give eachother critiques on our new-improved queries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the post I'm posting tomorrow. Thank you SO MUCH for giving this suggestion!

      Delete
  13. I've really, really enjoyed this contest! It's really helped me pick apart some serious flaws in my query, which I was worried out to start with and was so great to have other people note "hey, this part isn't working." Thanks a million for doing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. After I realized I suck at queries, I refused to stress over them. lol

    ReplyDelete