Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Why I don't believe in 100%s (Contest at end!)

I don't. I just don't. There is no fact that is 100% correct. Want to try me?

The Earth is a sphere.
Actually, no: Due to its spinning, there is a slight bulge around the equator.

The Earth orbits the Sun.
Partially. There is another focal point to its orbit, and that is the reason the orbit is elliptical.

Even in science, there is no such thing as 100%s. Facts that we take for laws might be overthrown later on (such as Newton's Gravitational Laws, overthrown by Einstein).

I truly feel that this post is best for ALL aspects of life, not only writing.

I don't believe in words such as 'always' or 'never.' I like 'usually' and 'mostly' a lot better.  In fact, you'll rarely (see, I even did it there) see me use these words in my posts (other than the occasional slip). I get scared when I say these words, because I KNOW that there has been an exception. Because, the truth is, there is no 100%. No deed is ever 100% wrong. Is murder wrong? How about to defend our country? Is betrayal wrong? How about Brutus's betrayal to Caesar, for the benefit of Rome?

Bad books get published, good ones do too. A 200K word debut, and maybe even a 10K hits the bestseller list. SO MANY 'laws' are overthrown all the time!

There are no 'rules'! They are man-made, and like anything else man-made, they are fallible. Whenever anyone says the word 'always' or 'never,' I cringe a little bit, and my trust in that person goes a wee bit down. It is important to appreciate the nuances of grey between the black and white. Writing a book by the letter of the 'law' and rules is, plainly, dumb. Appreciate the grey areas!

If I believed in 100%s, I would have trunked my manuscript the minute I finished the first draft. Why? Because it was 136K long, contained a framing device, a prologue, and a major rule-breaking. In all respects, my book would never have been published.

But little old innocent me thought I could make it better, and I did: it is now 91K (a YA fantasy). I cut the prologue and the framing device, and my rule-breaking is well developed and set up so it doesn't feel (I hope) like a major violation. My book is not in queryable state, something that probably shouldn't have happened. Repeat after me: There are no such things as 100%s!

There ARE things such as trends, and I believe in trends A LOT. This doesn't refer to genre trends; I'm talking about writing styles, success trends, and the 'rules' of writing: one thing that worked for many, many writers time and time again. Trends are the 1%-99%. Trends are LIFE-SAVERS. (But that post will come later.)

Next time you write a extremely critical critique for a friend or feel down about your book, think again. There is no reason something can't be published if one works really hard at it (another thing I really believe in. Reasons will come in future post :) ).The reason less than 2% of writers get published is because the 98% gave up, or believed in 100%s.

Revel in the 2%. Because if the 100% existed, we would have no Charles Dickens. We would have no Dorothy, Narnia, or Middle Earth. And, above all, we would have no Harry Potter. And imagine how horrible life would be then.

What do you think? Should writers, or anyone, think in 100%s?

And now, the dare. Can you come up with anything that is a 100%? Be as witty and ingenious as possible; NO answer is wrong :) (Keep in mind, if you play dirty, I'll play dirty back, hehe.) I'll try my best to refute them, and I'll post the winner (if there is one) tomorrow with my next post. EDIT: You only get one try, so pick your best, and good luck!

21 comments:

  1. I have spent 100% of my life thus far on (on in this instance is going to be defined as within the range of its atmospheric boundary so jumping in the air or flying are still "on") the planet earth. (Shocking, I know, everyone I'm sure thought I was an extraterrestrial.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot, I was going to say jump or flying but you got that covered..... um.... can I catch you by saying you didn't capitalize earth? ;) Noo, that's cheating.... um, lemme try getting back to you on this, hehe

      Delete
    2. Technically if an alien race abducted you at night and then returned you, dosing you with a memory-erasing alien drug, you may have been to another planet and don't know it.

      Delete
    3. AH HA! Yes! That works, thanks Steph!

      Delete
  2. ^ brighton wins... ;)
    I could say 'I've 100% had a mother since the day I was born,' but I know that's cheating. So I'll just say this is a very true post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not cheating! But I've got a reply to that :) Not just since the day you were born, but the 9 months before, you ALSO had a mother :)

      Delete
    2. So over 100%! Haha. Awesome. ;)

      Delete
    3. I 100% agree with your first sentence. :)

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm... Uhh... I am 100% clueless on what to put here? LOL that's a really cool concept, and a very true one! Intriguing post! I think I use the word 'always' and 'never' a lot though... ):

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, trust me, I use them a lot as well, but I never really mean them :) And you can't be 100% clueless! Because you did post something here :)

      Delete
  4. Which is why the classics should be able to be published today, but "wouldn't be". People look too hard at the rules they made themselves. Ah-HAAA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, yea! Their own rules are their own falling!

      Delete
  5. I am 100% sure that the main character of Vis Decor: Alphi's name is Alphi :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it's Alphi Ealite McClure :) AHHH! I'M SUCH A CHEATER!

      Delete
    2. I am 100% sure you are a cheater! :P

      Delete
    3. HAHAH! OH GOSH, I think this one might be tied for a winner! (Just because it was witty :))

      Delete
  6. I'm 100% sure that SC is not always truthful and that he is secretive about things he needn't be. :D

    I'm 100% sure that I've had Lupus since the day I was conceived.

    That my great, great, great grandmother was a mail-order bride.

    That my mom was born in Augsburg, Germany.

    That SC loves Rome.

    That bath salt zombies are not really zombies at all, just cannibals that are slightly nuts. (Cat's going to be so sad over that one :/ )

    Okay, Pick one, any one...They're all true. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to still go ahead and claim myself as the winner of this shindig. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, you almost had me there :) But Steph came and saved the day, hehehe!!! 100% saved the day! :DD

      Delete
    2. But aliens don't exist. Until you prove that to me, I'm still convinced I won :)

      Delete
    3. Ooohh, but how do you KNOW they don't exist? Actually, probability speaking, there are high chances of TONS of extraterrestrial life :)

      Delete