Friday, August 24, 2012

2012 -- The Year of Classic (Modern?) Movies

The Oscars are going to have a CRAZY time next year. And we writers will have a CRAZY time in the theatre this year? Why?

It's something I like to call (and you heard it here first) The Year of the Classics.

EVERYWHERE I look, a new movie, a remake of a classic, is hitting the screen!

Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy. (Starring Keira Knightly!)



The Great Gatsby, by F Scott Fitzgerald. (Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Bollywood star Amitabh Bachan! And directed by Baz Luhrmann!) This one I'm super excited about.



Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. (Starring freaking Helena Bonham Carter (!!!) And it's Dickens! ANNDD it's directed by Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire's director. ANDD it has Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid) and Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort).)



The Hobbit, by JRR Tolkein. (It's the Hobbit. I mean, seriously. And Peter Jackson is directing it again, of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, 11 Oscar-winner fame!! Part One, An Unexpected Journey, is out in December.)



Les Miserables, (with the dash over the first 'e' in 'Miserables' but I don't know how to do it) by Victor Hugo, author of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. (WITH ANNE HATHAWAY! And Hugh Jackman! And Russell Crowe! And Amanda Seyfried!)



And so many more, like:

Life of Pi


Oz, the Great and Powerful



All Quiet on the Western Front (which Dan Radcliffe MIGHT be doing), Carrie, My Fair Lady, Red Dawn, and sooooo many more.

This is weird though. With this impressive line-up, it's like all these actors, actresses, and directores, will be in a fist-fight over the Oscars this year.... Did they all just join and decide to remake classics this year ?I don't know, but I have to read GREAT EXPECTATIONS and LES MISERABLES since I don't want to be spoiled in the movie. But this is the year of moving-going writers :)

All I'm waiting (and hoping) for is a remake of A TALE OF TWO CITIES :) That would MAKE my day! (My week. My month. Maybe even my year. MAYBE.) Gosh, I would LOVE having that movie remade!!! AHH!!!

(By the way, the amazing Terri Bruce is having a swag give-away for her book, HEREAFTER. Go check it out, it's great :) )

What classic book would YOU love to see a modern remake of? Which one are you most excited about from the above?

6 comments:

  1. Most excited for the Hobbit, of course! Funny, I talked about remakes on my blog today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! So many great classics! Yay! I would love to see a modern Heidi. I collect these old books and I think it would be awesome to see new one maybe even with the little known Heidi Grows Up added to the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've never read Great Expectations and you are a Dickens fan?!? I am shocked, haha! You will love it, it is my favorite behind Tale of Two Cities. And Les Mis is an absolute beast of a book, so make sure you start it when you have lots of spare reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gatsby has been moved to summer 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOOOO! Well, maybe yay, since now my friends can read it and watch it with me.... But still. Sigh. I was excited for it!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see The Great Gatsby!

    ReplyDelete