Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pitch Slam: RESTRICTED ACCESS - YA Dystopia

Title: Restricted Access
Genre: YA Dystopia
Word Count: 91,000

Hero: Amber relates best to Black Widow for her grace, style, and all-around asskickeryness.

Pitch: In a future where memories can be watched like YouTube videos, seventeen-year-old computer geek, Amber Ross, must catch a killer before the only boy she’s ever loved is executed in his place.

250:

Damon’s cornflower eyes hold me captive as I march down the aisle toward him. It’s our ninth time making vows, but his ancient tuxedo with cuff links, bow tie, and tails still sends my heart tumbling.

With the veil over my face, I focus on not tripping. The last thing I want is a thousand VizCam files popping up on the nets tonight, all showing me face-planting in white satin.

I manage not to fall, and take my place beside him, loving how my four-inch heels put us at eye level. His chocolate-colored hair is slicked back, and right now, with our eyes locked, it's easy to pretend he likes me back.

The priest makes a speech and angles toward me. "Jane Smith, do you take John Jones to be your lawfully wedded husband…." The words enchant me, like romantic whispers carried on a timeless breeze to an undeserving present. "…for as long as you both shall live?"

The answer comes unbidden. "I do."

He nods and faces Damon. Somewhere between "to have and to hold" and discovering a tiny scar in Damon's left eyebrow, I decide today's the day I'll tell him my real name, even if it kills me.

The priest finishes, but Damon just stares into space, his face an expressionless puzzle. I stifle the urge to improvise.

The priest clears his throat.

Finally, Damon blinks and shakes his head. "I do."

"Then I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

Each time I hear these words… breathe.

4 comments: