Monday, August 18, 2014

Interview with Nikki Roberti - Become an Agent WINNER!



I'm very very excited because here, for you today, is the awesome Nikki Roberti. She recently won the Become an Agent Querypalooza (as we've renamed it). And today is Pitch Wars submissions day, too. Hopefully this interview will help keep your mind off of it as you press the submit buttons!

The interview is seven questions because seven is awesome Harry Potter number and so it has to be seven :)


1. Fun facts about you: name three!


1) I am a pretty gnarly balloon sculptor. Once made a full size bike as a bribe for a kid at summer camp.
2) When I was 18, four of my theatrical pieces I wrote were performed at the Kennedy Center in DC
3) I once got punched by a photographer while covering a Michelle Obama event in DC as a journalist because I had the better spot.

2. Tell us about your writing/publication experience. How did the drafting go? How do you cope in the querying process?


My writing/publication experience is pretty varied with most of it being 12 years of published journalism experience (which I still do as a writer at an international non profit). After years of interviewing people, I started channeling my familiarity with dialogue into plays. I've had short pieces performed from coast to coast with a monologue also being performed in a studio off broadway in NYC. I took a break from playwriting to focus on my journalism career, but in 2012 I needed a creative outlet again and started writing full-length novels.

I've written four complete novels so far, but THE TRUTH ABOUT TWO SHOES is the first one I've really felt struck a chord within myself and even among other people who have volunteered to read it for me. I started writing this while working with Stark Contrast Editing on my light sci fi, THE CURED, because I was 1) learning so much about what I did wrong with my other book and 2) and I just needed a break. I was dealing with some pretty serious frustrations on numerous levels and worked it into this YA contemporary. My goal was to apply what I learned working with my editor on my other book and see if my writing improved.

As far as querying goes, I've learned a lot since I wrote my first book. I've had some nibbles over the past two years, but no agent yet on those projects. THE TRUTH ABOUT TWO SHOES is still new, so I haven't really put it out there yet. I'm hoping maybe this one will grab some attention. When it comes to coping...lots of chocolate, and my therapists named "Ben & Jerry" (Phish food is the best flavor ever).

3. What/Who keeps you going on this quest for publication, especially if you feel like giving up some times?

It's definitely discouraging at times, but writing is what I'm meant to do, and it's who I am. I can't imagine not writing. And since it's such an integral part of my life, rejection has no ability to tear my determination away from me. It will happen when the time is right. In the meantime, I'll keep at it.

4. What is your favorite book? Genre? Author? Also, what writer would you most love to be compared to?

I love ALL YA. I just love reading teen books because it transports me to a time I want to escape to. Favorite book is so hard!!! I'd have to say "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman. I nearly used excerpts in my wedding, I loved it so much. It made me laugh and feel things in a way nothing had at that point in my life.

I don't know which writer I'd want to be compared to. I have such a huge respect for so many, but at the same time, I hope one day I can just be known for my work. If I had to pick one, I'd say John Green because of how he can make people laugh in dark situations, and that's how I've always tried to focus my books on even before I ever read one of his.

5. What are your long-term and short-term goals, writing-wise?


Short-term, my goal is to make my deadlines at work this week! Kidding aside, I really hope to query THE TRUTH ABOUT TWO SHOES more this year and see where it goes into the New Year.

Long-term, I want to eventually freelance full time instead of having a day job. I freelance for various magazines and websites now while writing my books when I get home, but I would love to have an office at home where I could focus on my projects and editing clients more.

6. How was your experience in Become an Agent? What part of the contest did you find the best, and what part did you find the hardest? Anything to tell the other entrants?


My experience with Become an Agent was an interesting, but definitely a beneficial ride. I really appreciated the thoughtful critiques people gave me. But I was very confused by some of the conflicting notes and by the fact that for some reason, more people commented in general on mine than any others. At one point I thought maybe I had both more nos than anyone too. But overall, it really taught me how subjective the industry is and how people can have a strong reaction either way-- but that's better than no reaction at all. I'm definitely going to mull over a lot of the constructive feedback I received and see if I can apply it before Pitch Wars, but I also definitely learned that in the end, I have to trust my gut since people will be split.

To the other entrants, thank you for your thoughtful critiques and good luck on your projects too! I loved reading your entries, and it was so hard to only vote Yes on two. You all are so amazingly talented, and I predict good things for all of us in the future.

7. What would be a dream review for any of your books? Meaning, what would you LOVE for someone to say about your writing/stories?


I actually got a review from a beta recently that made me all sorts of weepy in a way I don't think I'll ever see again (or at least, I can't fathom happening any time soon). While my book is not Christian lit, my main character in THE TRUTH ABOUT TWO SHOES is a Christian who is widely persecuted by other Christians. However, as she struggles outwardly and inwardly throughout the plot, she remains true to herself and what she believes in. The plot is not reliant on this piece of characterization, but one beta approached me later saying that it really resonated with him how awful the supposedly "nice Christians" were to her, and it made him start visiting churches again since he saw that there is a difference between mainstream religion and personal faith. The idea anything I write could help people on their journey to asking questions or finding out more about themselves in any way is a privilege I don't even feel honored enough to accept. But it meant the world to me that he said my book helped him want to take steps toward learning more about something that had been weighing on him for some time.


Nikki Roberti Miller has more than 12 years of published journalism experience spanning newspapers, magazines, newswires, and more. Currently, she is a full-time writer for an international relief non profit and a freelancer for various magazines and websites including Engagement 101, WeTV.com and iVillage.com. As an editor, she was invited to present her theories on the mentor-mentee writer relationship at the 2011 International Writing Center Conference and also started her own online magazine, REALITY Check Girl, back in 2009. For fun, she's a recreational balloon sculptor who loves to cook and go to the theater with her husband.

Twitter
Instagram
Blog
Website

I loved loved those answers. Thank you so much Nikki for submitting and doing this interview! Good luck with everything and be sure to tell me if anything exciting happens.

This is also a call for EVERYONE that submitted/participated in Become an Agent. If you get a success story because of the Querypalooza, I WANT TO HEAR IT! Make sure you Tweet me, email me, anything, because success stories make my day :)

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I adored your pitch and first 250! Good luck in the agent hunt (and in Pitchwars!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niiiice. Loved the interview. Nikki seems way cool. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. I love reading stories like this.

    ReplyDelete