Monday, November 26, 2012

Being Thankful for Pain

Pain is something almost all writers are intensely familiar with. Not only do writers (creative people in general) have a higher tendency for depression, they throw all their hopes into an industry which sends out rejection letters like Santa does gifts.

Being in pain is nothing new, however, each person feels their pain in a way separate from everyone else. Pain drives us to write (atleast, it drives me to write). Nathan Bransford said that we writers need to have something pushing us to express our thoughts because why else would we write? We need something to get our gut.

Pain is horrible. It is crushing and hard, depressing and hopeless, and also, a cause for gratitude. Without pain, I most likely would have never taken up writing to the extent I did. Without pain, I would not have embarked on one of the best experiences and journies of my life. Pain is a gift.

And so, here is my Thanksgiving post, a little late (due to my Smoky Mountains vacation :D).

I am thankful for all life has to offer me, because without the experiences, I would not be the person I am today -- and I like the person I am today.

I am thankful for the wonderful writers' community for being the best thing that has ever happened to me as a writer.

I am thankful for my friends and family, who gave me the support I needed and the help I wanted, even if they didn't know just how much I appreciated it.

I am thankful for my life and grateful for everything I have -- many people aren't as lucky, and I can't underestimate that.

Pain is a gift if you learn to use it correctly. Pain can inform your writing, but as Bransford also said, writing is not therapy. Therapy is therapy. My point is, don't underestimate the benefits of pain. Everyone experiences it; it's what you do with it that matters.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving guys, and I hope you all had a great time :)

4 comments:

  1. I know I wouldn't be emotionally, spiritually, and physically where I am today without pain. I'm grateful for it. And I wouldn't change all the hardship for anything--I think it's important for us to embrace the refiners fire. All of us as writers need to go through it. Even though it can seem so dark at times, it makes the highs worth it.

    Such a fantastic post, SC. Thanks for this. I totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to start spouting Bible verses, but...well, they connect. :)

    Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. -James 1:2-4

    Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame... -Romans 5:3-5

    When our faith in our writing is tested, but we continue writing, we become better writers. When we face rejection, we take the time to find and fix our weak points.

    Good point, SC! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post. pain helps us to grow stronger and be stronger...no pain NO GAIN! loving it!

    ReplyDelete