Monday, September 24, 2012

A Warning About JK Rowling's New Book

Of course, if you don't know, The Casual Vacancy, JK Rowling's new book, is coming out in JUST 3 MORE FREAKING DAYS!!!

From the New Yorker Article

OBVIOUSLY, I've been stalking Mugglenet for more news about this fantastic author with this fantastic book, and I found out another interview had been released about her book.

Here is my warning:

This is not Harry Potter. At all.

Literally, I was in mild shock/giggles when I saw excerpts from the novel, taken from the interview:

 “The leathery skin of her upper cleavage radiated little cracks that no longer vanished when decompressed.”

'A little later, a lustful boy sits on a school bus “with an ache in his heart and in his balls.”'

And this:

“that miraculously unguarded vagina"
 
.... NOT HARRY POTTER AT ALL

There is talk of a sex scene in the interview, and issues like abuse, prostitution, and heroin addiction. BUT, one cannot say JK Rowling did not warn us; this was, from the beginning, labeled as an adult novel. So, of course, it will BE an adult novel. Not a children one. I do think I shouldn't have been so surprised.

Jo (JK Rowling's nickname) even says,
 
“There is no part of me that feels that I represented myself as your children’s babysitter or their teacher. I was always, I think, completely honest. I’m a writer, and I will write what I want to write.”

And all my biases towards her aside, I have to respect her for the above quote. The Harry Potter books are not condescending, so it's not like Jo ever WANTED to be a mother to her fans. She's just another person, and she can write whatever she wants.

However, I DO know tons of young adults and children will be flocking to buy this book....

This, however, is not a fault of Jo. Is she to be punished for her success? No. Parents should be a little mindful when it comes to letting their children buy this book.

I, for one, am SUPER excited for this :) The characters seem INCREDIBLY vivid by the synopsis given in the interview (read it, read it, read it!), and I am excited to see more of her wonderful talents. I know this will be AMAZING! AHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY 3 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!

Sigh.

Please, if you buy or read this book (please, please do!), do so with an open mind. This book is NOT Harry Potter at all. Pretend it's another author or something. It doesn't matter. That might be what I'll have to do to get through some parts, but I know it will be worth it.

Jo should not be punished for Harry Potter. This is a big step for her as a writer. Respect her for it.

What do you think about this huge change in writing style? Is it something to be applauded, or something a big risky?

3 comments:

  1. I hope parents realize it's an adult book before their children start reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured it wouldn't be another HP book. I just didn't realize it would so steamy. I hadn't planned on buying it. Maybe I'll have to rethink that. lol

    ReplyDelete