Thursday, September 3, 2015

Writing About Disability: An Insider’s Confession

YOU ALL. A Write Inclusively guest post is HERE!!!! *so many cheers*!! To learn more about the Write Inclusively campaign and sign up for the newsletter, click here

Today, we have the incredible Laura Brown. Take it away, Laura. (It is a beautiful post, and so incredibly true. Understand it, internalize it.)

#

As a writer with a disability, I have a confession to make. Whenever I see a book has a character with a hearing loss, my first reaction is not “Yay! Diversity!” It should be, but life has taught me to be cautious.

My first reaction involves the urge to step back and walk away. My first reaction doesn’t know if the author did his/her research. My first reaction doesn’t want to be right.

Having had a hearing loss all my life, I know one fact very, very well: people think they know hearing loss. They don’t. Hearing loss is one of those topics that everyone knows about. It’s common knowledge. But this “common knowledge” rarely involves the truth of not hearing.

Case in point: I started learning ASL when I was in college. My mother mentioned this to a family member. The response? “Shouldn’t she learn to lipread?”

1) I wasn’t taking ASL for my own benefit, not at first. 2) I’ve been lipreading my entire life; it’s not an exact science. In fact, the lips only show 20% of the words, the rest is inferred. 3) If I managed to communicate well, why did I need lipreading?

Nothing against the masses, just the simple fact of what a common notion does when put into action. I’m sure those with other disabilities will say the same. The public knows about the variety of disabilities one can have. But unless we’re actively involved, we don’t know shit.

Back to writing. Sadly, most books I have picked up with a character who has a hearing loss lead me to banging my head with my Kindle. True fact. There aren’t many, but after you read a few that are so far off the mark it isn’t even funny, you grow leery. I oftentimes try and research if the author has any personal experience prior to picking up the book.

This doesn’t mean an author can’t do research and do it right. One can. It’s been done. However, it takes the right type of author, the right type of research, to make it happen. I read a more recent novel with a Deaf main character (capital D to denote someone culturally Deaf, not just a person with a hearing loss). I bit my lip, shut down my apprehension, and read.

On the whole, this author did her research. So points for her. And she had the character in a career that many wouldn’t think to put a Deaf person in, so double points. BUT, and this is capitalized because it is huge, there were many instances in the novel that were so far off from reality I ended up banging my head with my Kindle. One small example: the continued use of first names in ASL, as in “Hi Laura, how are you?” Nope. ASL only uses sign names for those not present, or when teaching a baby their own name.

At the end of the day, research is great, but you can’t know everything. In my own research in areas I don’t have personal knowledge on, I seek out personal experiences. Since I look at the world differently due to my ears, I try and find the little nuances that make the research ring true. I won’t get it all right, and that’s okay. I don’t expect someone to get it all right with hearing loss. Even if I’m banging my head with my Kindle, if the author shows respect and understanding, that’s half the battle. And that warms my heart.

But when someone gets it wrong, the damage is huge. Even in fiction, people read novels and acquire knowledge they previously didn’t have. So if a novel depicts false information, then that false information spreads. To be fair, I feel the same way about social workers receiving a bad rap in novels, since I worked as one for a decade.

I will probably always need a moment before checking out a novel with a character who has a hearing loss. The fear of it being done wrong is huge. I do hope, with the push for diversity in books, more and more people will do their research, will put respect first in their art.

In some ways, I want to leave the disabled characters to those of us with personal knowledge. This may be selfish of me, as I write about characters with a hearing loss and I’m damn proud of my work. But like many minority groups, we want our own voices heard. Not yours, not your interpretation of what our world should be like. The truth. From us.

You might be able to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes, but can you put those shoes on as they do? Can you walk and interact and have your outsider status be invisible? Can you say with 100% conviction that this is right? Think about this the next time you write about someone different than yourself.

I know I do. My goal is to make those other disabilities appear as truthful and fleshed out as my hearing loss characters. The bar is set high, since hearing loss is my life, my degree, my work. I know I won’t be 100%. But I aim for damn close.

Do you?


Laura Brown lives in Massachusetts with her quirky abnormal family. Laura and her three cats are “differently abled.” Laura is hard of hearing, her oldest cat is deaf and partially blind, and the other two cats have cerebellar hypoplasia (they shake, and they don’t find it endearing). The “normal” members of her family include her husband, who has put up with her since high school, and her young son who enjoys “typing” on Mommy’s laptop and has agreed to take full blame for all spelling errors.

Here is her Twitter and her website. Make sure to follow/visit! Send her a Tweet!

I really, truly, love this post, and I think it's a really great post to start off this new phase of Write Inclusively. There are a few quotes I really want to highlight [emphasis: mine]:

  • "Sadly, most books I have picked up with a character who has a hearing loss lead me to banging my head with my Kindle."
  • "In some ways, I want to leave the disabled characters to those of us with personal knowledge.
  • "But like many minority groups, we want our own voices heard. Not yours, not your interpretation of what our world should be like. The truth. From us."
  • "At the end of the day, research is great, but you can’t know everything."
  • "But when someone gets it wrong, the damage is huge. Even in fiction, people read novels and acquire knowledge they previously didn’t have. So if a novel depicts false information, then that false information spreads."

Please use the comments space, and #WriteInclusively on Twitter, to discuss! THANK YOU SO MUCH LAURA! Seriously, this post is incredible. Thank you so much for sharing.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, SC! So honored to be a part of this wonderful movement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truly great post! I worry about that when I write a character differently abled. Now I will definitely go back and research before I continue writing one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post! You hit the nail on the head. I want to read about characters whose life experience rings true, and I can definitely relate to that sinking feeling when an author doesn't quite get it right (in other contexts). Even small things can irk me enough to stop reading. I've also experienced the lovely internal 'PING' that goes off when an author describes a unique experience that I could never have, but that makes perfect sense to the character. My ideal is to have characters written by authors who have an intimate understanding of that character's life. In the absence of personal experience, imagination and empathy are great, but deep research and communication are essential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really great post, and a necessary one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I loved this post. Thank you so much for posting. I really helped open my eyes. And thanks for this campaign of Write Inclusively. It's taught me to be more aware.

    ReplyDelete