Monday, February 25, 2013

Why the Oscars Were Such a Hit

*Disclaimer: All the following is from my opinion. And, in my opinion, the 2013 Academy Awards were FANTASTIC.*


I do not own this photo. Oscars.org does.
....
Obviously.

If you follow me on Twitter, you might have seen my Oscar-tweets last night. I LOVED THE OSCARS!!!! This was the first time I was so excited for them - I even watched almost all of the red carpet stuff (and I'm a guy).

Why did I love them so much?

Because the movies were movies I loved.

Do you remember last year's Oscars? If you don't, I'll inform you: a movie called "The Artist" won basically everything. It is a black-and-white (and, I think, silent for the most part) film. It is definitely Oscar-bait, and without a doubt, I am sure it was a great and excellent movie. Trouble is, I never watched it (and neither did the majority of America).

However, this year? Let me give you a run down of the films.

Les Mis. (I am a HUGE fan of the book (haven't watched the musical, sadly), and the thing is, a LOT of other people are fans of it too. Plus, it has big-name actors (Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Helena Bonham Carter, etc.)

Zero Dark Thirty. Honestly, who doesn't like a film about how Osama was killed? Instant hook. Same goes for:

Argo. Instant hook. Most Americans can relate.

Silver Linings Playbook. (Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper... instant hit.)

Lincoln. It's about Lincoln, and directed by Spielberg.

Django Unchained. Leonardo DiCaprio. (He'll get the Oscar next year with The Great Gatsby. I'm calling it right now.)

Other than Amour (which is a movie I want to watch now because I LOVVVE (and am torn apart by) sad old people) and Beasts of the Southern Wild (which is another movie I want to see because I want to see that 9-year-old in action), there was no movie I had not heard of in the listing.

Most of the movies were very popular. They had significant buzz and excitement around them. PLUS, amazing people like *WOO* Adele performed. HOW COULD PEOPLE NOT BE EXCITED? Definitely one of the best Oscars ever.

Secondly, the people and the vibe of the night were so friendly. I felt like cheering for each winner because they felt like real people, like my friends (yeah, I know, I wish). They just brought me into the event.

This is how the Oscars should be. A fun night, tons of excitement because beloved movies are in the listing, and beloved actors too. Apparently, one billion people watched the Oscars last night (that's what the host kept saying). That's more than a tenth of the world's population, guys.

The host.

I'm still undecided about Seth MacFarlane's hosting (at some times, hilarious. At other times, I felt bad for those at the butt of his jokes - although he did deflect some of them onto himself at the end).

But there is no denying it: this year's Oscars has been one of the funnest in a long time. And, I think a lot of it has to do with Seth MacFarlane. He undeniably brought a lighter tone to the Oscars than in past years, and in turn, made it more fun. The issue of his insults and jabs are a debate for another time.
I was especially excited for the results of two awards. (I probably would have been more excited for other awards, but Les Mis and Adele were my main two draws to the Oscars.)

First, Anne Hathaway. She was AMAZING in Les Mis. Truly. It was just fantastic what she did. She deserved that award :D

Secondly, I am so, SO thrilled that Adele won the Oscar. (My sister changed the channel to Iron Man 2 before Adele got the award, so anger kind of killed my happiness at that moment. Now I'm ravaging YouTube trying to find a clip of her speech. HALP!) Now, she's a 9-time Grammy winner, Golden Globe winner, and Oscar winner. She is just so fantastic. And her performance of the song "Skyfall" was stunning that night.

I was upset neither Adele nor Anne Hathaway got a standing ovation. Grrr. (Did Adele get one for her speech? She didn't get it for her singing, at least.) Next time, guys, next time.

Daniel Radcliffe came out and sang and danced for us, the cast of Les Mis belted out "Suddenly," and Michelle Obama camein at the end to present the final award? HOW CRAZY WAS THAT?! So many surprises and secrets in the show :) It was truly amazing.

Awesome, AWESOME night! Sigh. Definitely the best Oscars I've seen.

I'm going to sleep (it's Sunday night as I'm writing this) all happy and smiling. The Oscars went fantastically. Exactly and even better than how I hoped they would go, so much so that I'm smiling as I write this. It was fantastic :)

Did you like the Oscars? How about Adele, Daniel Radcliffe, and the cast of Les Mis's performances? *Sigh* And how did you feel about the host?

7 comments:

  1. I like MacFarlane and thought he was good.
    The awards were really spread out this year, but there were so many good movies.
    Best for me - Christoph Waltz winning Best Supporting Actor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were great, and Seth was great! My mom, sis, and I were laughing all night.

    Adele started to thank people, then started crying, so she pushed her cowriter to the mic. lol

    Every time they show that clip of Anne Hathaway, I give her an Oscar. I can't wait to see that movie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more. It was simply wonderful! Hope you slept well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back before we had kids, we usually saw all of the Oscar movies in advance. Now...

    On a related note, we just "The Artist" on DVD. It was a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the Oscars and really enjoyed them! I was SO happy Jennifer Lawrence won best actress. She was amazing in Silver Linings Playbook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVED the Oscars this year, too. Probably because McFarlane is eye candy, IMO, and hilarious.

    Adele didn't get a standing O for her win, but she got a big laugh because she thanked "her man."

    I was excited to see Jennifer Laurence win for best actress. I've seen her do so many interviews, and she's just down to earth and FUNNY and sweet. I really, really like her (doesn't hurt she's Katniss, either!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed the Oscars but my 9 and 10 year olds watched it. No wonder they were tired the next day. But they insisted on seeing the entire thing. I think my 10 year old was taking notes for his own academy award one day. :D

    ReplyDelete